Sunday, October 24, 2010

Kindle 3 Collections Editor

kindle3_CE01 About a few weeks ago, i got my Kindle 3!

Now, i’m just addicted, not sure if to the Kindle itself or to the books i’m reading – it’s just too seamless.
With just a short period of using it, i can say: I love my Kindle!

I plan on posting a review on Kindle. I know there are already a lot out there but i’d be focusing on my experience as a non-US user. But that’s for later.

One minor complaint i have is that i don’t have an easy way to edit my collections. Kindle users know about this: you’d have to do the editing of your collections on your device which would be quite tedious especially when you have a number of e-books. I wished there was an easier way.

Thanks to a forum i read, i was able to make an editor to update my collections. Now, I’m sharing it!

I’ve done a little tidying up but i’m marking it as an ‘alpha’ version.
IMPORTANT: It has a major limitation, you need to restart your Kindle in order for the changes to be permanent.
This i think is the major hurdle why there aren’t so much of a collections editor out there.

Anyway, it is just a minor inconvenience (unless, you’re editing your collections every day).

So, here is the editor. You don’t need to install it, just download, unzip then run. 
There’s a README.txt file in the zip for a more detailed instructions.

 

It’s hosted on my Google Docs page, but don’t worry you don’t need to sign in or anything.

Google Docs Link

One thing though, you need the .Net framework from Microsoft for this to work.

If there is enough interest, i will post the source code later. I used c# for this.

 

Please don’t hesitate to  send in your comments or suggestions.

Thank you and happy reading!

2 comments:

  1. Feed-back on the Collections Editor:

    - Nice and clean application, fully portable.
    - It assumes all the files are books. There are extensions that should be ignored (for instance, for any book you open, kindle creates a few other files with page numbering and so on).
    - There are books on Kindle that are not displayed (on the protected space of Kindle?)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh gosh! haven't noticed this comment before.
    Anyhow, thanks for the feedback.
    i'll try to update it somehow, but i think there's another editor out there that is much better and updated (can't remember the link though. there's always google).

    ReplyDelete