Tuesday, September 21, 2010

DVD with Side A – Side B (ala cassette)

When I was in college, one of the my professors of a non-major subject (more appropriately called Gen. Ed. subjects) asked us a question that really made the whole class laugh our heads off. We were IT students, but “she” had little idea with computers, what with her subject being about our National Hero and her being the typical traditional and sort of ‘terror’ professor.

She asked if a CD had side A and side B, ala cassette tape.

She was thinking that like a tape, you can just flip a CD (an audio CD probably) to continue with playlist. So, the class (being “IT people” and all) was laughing our heads off – okay, so we were all doing that as obscurely as possible – we were after all in ‘her territory’ at the moment.

Little did i know, that years after – I'd be laughing at myself, surprised to find out that our professor would be right! There is a CD (actually, a DVD) that had the sort of Side A – Side B!

I got it  while I was in Japan sometime ago, by accident no less. I’ve completely forgotten about it until this weekend – when i cleaned up my CD/DVD collection.

It’s a DVD that is double-sided – nope! not Dual Layer, but double-sided. You can read/write on both sides!

Okay, it’s not much of a discovery, i know! But the first time i saw it, i was surprised. There are probably a lot already who are familiar with this type of DVD – since it is used mainly for video cameras – but for someone who are used to memory sticks and cards, this is a new thing.

Okay, so there you go – a DVD that you can flip like a cassette tape. I have to apologize to that professor for laughing at her.

0 comments:

Post a Comment